We know that to play is a verb with many meanings depending on the context. In Portuguese, we have a different verb for each one of those contexts. Let’s have a close look to some of those contexts:
- I play the guitar.
- I play with my dolls.
- I play a very important role on the company I work for.
- I play football.
- The actor who plays Bilbo in “The Hobbit” is very good.
So, if we translate these sentences to Portuguese, the verb to play has, at least, five different translations:
- Eu toco guitarra.
- Eu brinco com as minhas bonecas.
- Eu desempenho um papel importante na empresa onde trabalho.
- Eu jogo futebol.
- O ator que interpreta Bilbo em “The Hobbit” é muito bom.
- Tocar (to play an instrument)
- Brincar (to play with toys, mostly what children do)
- Desempenhar (to play a role)
- Jogar (to play a game)
- Interpretar (to play a character)